Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Worn Out Joy

Hi, everyone. Sorry it's been so long. I am too busy to post anything lengthy right now, and my head is not right, but I just wanted to share this link to a New York Times profile of the wonderful filmmaker Kelly Reichardt, who made River of Grass, one of my favorite films of the 1990s, and more recently Old Joy, (please not to be confused with Oldboy) which I saw at this year's New Directors/New Films. I have been sick for a while, and didn't make too many of the screenings, and continue to feel awful about it, but this was a film that I knew I had to see. It is beautiful, and I hope that more people get a chance to see it. The profile is by Dennis Lim, who does a good job of capturing what the film is all about without revealing too much. Not that there is too much that could be revealed in mere words...

I want to say that I will try to make up for my lack of attendance at ND/NF by going to an overwhelming number of Tribeca screenings (they start this week) but Tribeca is such an odd and unwieldly beast of a fest, and there is such a good chance of screening one bad film after another for days on end that I don't know if I will muster the energy. Yes, it is probably bad form to complain about having to see a bunch of bad movies for free, but I do believe it is actually dangerous to my mental and physical health, both of which seem to be in decline lately. I'm much more looking forward to this summer's New York Asian Film Festival, and the surprise and excitement that will bring.

No comments: